Thursday, January 17, 2013

Foliage Follow-Up


Pam at Digging posts pictures of beautiful foliage to remind us that there's more to plants than just flowers, and that foliage adds to the garden all year long.  I decided to follow her lead with pictures of two of my favorite leafy January plants.  






Two years ago, I fell to temptation and bought a packet of Shasta Daisy seeds.  I realize now that there are many TX natives that would have been better choices, but I'm learning.  The blooms I got last year were pretty scraggly, and quickly over taken by sunflowers.  However, during the winter it's a different story, the daises' bright luscious leaves take center stage all winter when everything else is dull.     



I love my winter lawn of weedy grass and, well, weeds.  It's so soft and sweet just like a carpet.  It dries up just about the time my Elm tree is completely leafed out, and the sunflowers take over.  


What's your January favorite foliage? 
Post a comment or link to your blog/photos.  If you join in with Foliage Follow-Up on your blog please link back to me and Pam in the comments section of our blogs.  



2 comments:

  1. Gotta love those green (and tan) Texas winters! I'm glad your shastas are greening up your garden in the cool season, even if they can't quite hack it in the hot season. A cool season groundcover is great to have. Another one to try is heartleaf skullcap. I love the way it brightens up the winter garden with blue-green foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Pam. I will have to check out the skullcap. I love watching the seasons change!

      Delete