Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Snow Day

Yesterday, we got about 4 inches of snow and it is beautiful!  The dogs and I have been having fun out in the white stuff.  Silly's first reaction upon being released from the house into the snow was to try and not touch the stuff as it is both cold and wet; two of Silly's least favorite things.  However, after getting her little jacket on she's always ready to join the other dogs in exploring the fluffy yard.  Cici's main concern is that there are no sticks to be found for our tug-of-war and fetching games, but the snow hasn't slowed Cici's joyful bounding run around the house.  Cici and I tried to play fetch with a snowball; what a mean trick!  Antro is still hunts squirrels, chipmunks, and moles.  He's a true rat dog and like the US Postal Service neither by snow nor rain nor heat nor darkness stops his desire to chase critters.  All the dogs were eager to join me as I started a new game, waving my arms and legs in a most unusual way while laying in the snow.  One dog attacked my arms, and another gave me excited licks with loud snorts in the face. We've had a fun time with our first blanket of snow.





Looking for Squirrels

Snow Beard!

Chilly Willy Silly!




The bird feeders have been extra busy with never less than a dozen birds.  I believe they appreciate the extra seed we've put out for them during the afternoons.  It takes a lot of energy and a lot of food to stay warm on days like today.  Jacob woke me up last night to hear a Great Horned Owl hooting out over the white landscape.  Perhaps, it was watching for rodent visitors to our bird feeders.  It was wonderful to hear another owl species in the quiet hours.  I just hope it doesn't scare the Barred Owls away since Great Horned Owls have been known to kill Barred Owls.  Deer also make their rounds by the feeders cleaning up any leftovers.  I've seen their muddy tracks in our yard, and today there were tracks in the snow.  I'm thankful for our warm house, hot food, good jackets, sweaters, socks, rubber boots, fuzzy hats, scarves, ... , and a big window to watch the snow fall and birds come and go from our couch with snuggle dogs.












No comments:

Post a Comment