Wednesday, September 19, 2012

After the rain

  Snails and slugs were all over the path at the park.
You had to step carefully.
After the Rain...

Snails stretch boldly in a world of 
    damp squishy mud.

Mushrooms pop from invisible networks
    before the earth hardens.

Plants show blooms and new leaves 
    invigorated by a quenched thirst. 

Clouds linger in wispy clusters  
    pulled on by a scented breeze.

Dogs tug to forget a day indoors
    excited by trails to mark a fresh.

  
Mushrooms that popped up with the rain!
 I have been looking for and trying to identify
 mushrooms, but I am still a very amateur mycologist.


We enjoyed a wonderful weekend filled with a slow cool rain.  Coming from Arizona and a ranching family, I have a deep love for rain.  This weekend's rain also ushered in cooler mornings, and highs in the 80s.  I like the damp feeling of rain, being able to drink hot tea, finding snails out of from their hidden homes, catching a cool slow lizard, and seeing the cloud formations before, during, and after the front.  I have not lived in a environment where rain is common place, but I think I will always love rain!



Red Yucca, Hesperaloe parviflora, is a favorite of the
migrating hummingbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment