Thursday, February 16, 2012

Magic

I've always enjoyed stories of imaginary places, impossible feats, and unusual creatures.  These fictional stories are filled with awe and excitement.  These myths are also filled with magic.  I suppose I am predisposed to find that magic does exist.  I'm not talking about elves, dragons, or fairies.  I'm thinking of moments when time seems to stop because something is so beautiful.  The beauty takes your breath away.  I'm thinking of the times that you stop in amazement of how interesting a creature can be.  Nature casts spells on me.  It makes my heart soar with birds and clouds, shrinks me to the size of a bug, calms me, and excites me.  I am so glad and thankful I live on Planet Earth.  Our animals, rocks, atmosphere, oceans, and ecosystems are so complex, finely tuned, and amazing.

Art is a tiny bit like nature in that it too can be magical.  A painting can draw you in, and make you soar.  Music can change your mood and touch your soul.  Poems can heal hurts.   A goal that I strive for is to create paintings that have magic.  Will every painting contain some magic?  I hope so.  Will every person be touched by every painting?  Of course not.

We all have our favorites.  I find magic by looking for sundogs, mushrooms, flying birds, shiny bugs, tiny delicate flowers, by watching seasons change. One of my favorite artists is Claude Monet.  His water lily paintings are so calm, and beautiful.  The poem The Daffodils by William Wordsworth always makes me happy.

Please share your favorite ways to find magic in nature and/or art.
Tiny plants growing out of a dead log.

A Shiny Ground Beetle
If you enlarge the photo
you can see its shiny purple color!
Two Mushrooms that have sprouted in the last  few days.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Anna,

    I love to look ahead into the distance at the mountains during the seasonal changes. The leaves are beautiful with warm colors as they change during the fall, making way for the trees to rest during the winter. The winter is beautiful as the mountains in the distance are often snow capped, even when the earth we may be standing on is not. The spring welcomes us to endure the beautiful colors as the flowers and trees bloom with arrays of color! The summer proves the beauty of the cycle of our seasons when the trees allow for shade on sunny days and the sandy beaches are often crowded with us enjoying the sand and ocean! Any season is the perfect time to go outdoors and spend it with those we love, or just relax and take in the beauty of nature abroad.

    I am enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addie,
    I, too, love mountain views. I miss them since there are none in Austin. We do get to watch the seasons change, and I enjoy the array of color. My favorite time of year is the fall, but all seasons have things that are wonderful. We almost never get snow, but it makes it all the more special when a few flakes fall. I agree any season is the perfect time to go outdoors and spend it with those we love!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete