Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bird Portraits

Welcome to the virtual art gallery!  


To see these paintings in person visit the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Austin, the church is open during regular business hours Tuesday- Friday, most Saturdays, and of course Sunday.  
There will be an artist reception August 19th at 1:00pm.   


Me with paintings at the art show! August 2012

A Mississippi Kite that came to the Nature Center as a part of an Urban Bird Celebration inspired this series of Bird Portraits.  The rescued bird allowed me to see it up close, and I was able to see just how beautiful, and regal it was.  I decided to paint its portrait and when Genie approached me about doing an art show I thought it would be fun to paint more bird portraits.  

Mississippi Kite, a regal bird that
migrates all the way to Paraguay.


Carolina Hillbilly Wren, a friendly bird that makes a lot of noise,,
builds large crazy nests, and likes to roost on my porch

Captain Black-backed Sea Gull, truly a sea gull Larus marinus. I imaged my dad's favorite movie, Master and Commander, while painting the gull.  


Two Songbirds that I often see and hear together, Carolina Chickadee, and Tufted Titmouse I used sonograms of the birds' real song to write the music.  I haven't got anyone to play the music I wrote so I don't really know if it sounds like the birds.   

Secret Society of Sora (top) birds that you almost never see at the edge of ponds.
Playful Plover (bottom) cute little wave runners at the beach.
Vain Raven, I used Pogo, the Nature Center's resident Raven, as a model.
The photograph didn't turn out very well (that's why you should go to the show!:))


Jacob helping to hang the paintings (thank you, my dear)
Uncle Balding Eagle, isn't in the show























4700 Grover Avenue  Austin, TX 78756

No comments:

Post a Comment